.17hmr

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by paulkeen, Apr 5, 2014.

1. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Got a savage 93r17 (used) today from a local pawnshop installed a used dcop i had laying around and bought a box of 20gr cci hp and off to the range i went....[​IMG] im happy happy happy....

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

2. strycnine

strycnine New Member

How far was you shooting?

I had a Savage 17hmr that was a tack driver. I sold it to a good friend, so i stand a chance of getting it back.........just waiting till he gets bored with it.:D

3. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

Congrats! I enjoy plinking with my .17 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396751288.076905.jpg

4. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

oh, what ever am I going to do?

Am I just a lone voice howling in the wilderness?

Rifles? We don't need no stinkin rifles!

[​IMG]

That's my $200 otd Taurus Tracker. I had it at a friends range, and we had clay pidgins sitting on a bank at 110 yards. Zero hold over. Point blank out to 110 yards. That is just one screaming round. Not good on a windy day, but still, quite the round. I gut shot a squirrel once. Looked like a pencil lead stick on the 'in' side, and I could put three fingers side by side into the exit wound on the other side.
    The cool thing about this round is that they are still cheap, but you get pretty hi-tech bullets. Boat tailed ballistic tipped spizers.
    The only down side is cleaning them. You got to be real careful and use special rods. Even trying to get a bore snake thru can be tricky.
    Enjoy your new toy,
    db

5. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Yall bunch of show offs...it was around a 100yds...i previuosly had the savage s/s w/ thumb hole stock that i loved but hard times came around and i needed money for the family. :( im going to let this one be a project gun and start buy upgrades barrel, stock, etc...this is going to be fun

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

I like .17 HMR

I've shot .17 magnum rimfires belonging to friends before.

I myself have a .22 magnum, which I intended to use for woodchucks/ grounhogs and coyotes in suburban areas or around livestock or horses where a loud noise from a .223 would be bad.

However, I just shot my .22 WMR rifle (22" barrel) at 200 yards, and was disappointed how much bullet drop I had.

With a 100 yard zero, I wasn't even on paper at 200. Probably something like 14" low.

When I cranked the scope elevation up almost a full rotation, I got a decent group 6" below point of aim at 200 yards, but it was 6" ABOVE point of aim for 100 yards. That's a lot of bullet drop. More than I wanted.

I guess my current "zero" would be dead-on 20 yards and again around 160 yards, but I didn't have time to confirm that on my last shooting session.

Therefore, I need to stop thinking of a .22 magnum as a step down from a real varmint caliber like the .222 / .223. It's orders of magnitude different from that. It's more like a souped-up .22LR, which extends the effective range of a .22 rimfire by 30% to 50%, but certainly doesn't "double" the practical effective range. Even a .22 magnum fired from a 22" barrel that burns all the powder and lets the bullets hit peak muzzle velocity at 2000 f.p.s. still isn't really a 200 yard proposition, unless you're shooting a known distance and you consult a drop table and have a scope with a multi-line (or dot) reticle for doing the right amount of hold-over or hold-under.

7. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

The .17 doesnt even start to shine till 100yds and is very capable of poking 200yd shots in the right hands

8. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

I am looking at the 17bmag ballistics are awesome

9. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

It is a nasty little round.

10. Duane

Duane New Member

Love my Savage .17 hmr. Got a Henry Goldenboy in .17 on the way (Colquitt Co commemorative edition) Deadly accurate and just a blast to shoot.

11. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

A Henry is the one thing missing from my collection. It is on the list.