Back up weapon

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by Birddogyz, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

During rifle season, what do you carry as a back up weapon. My choice is my trusty Glock 20. Hard to beat the 10MM.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390170661.775027.jpg

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

.38 with snake shot

I didn't carry a pistol when I was deer hunting.
    I did carry an extra mag and some loose ammo for my rifle.
    If I were to carry a handgun as a "back up gun" for deer hunting, I think it would be a fairly small and light .38 revolver with the first two chambers of the cylinder loaded with CCI snake shot shells, and the rest of the chambers loaded with any normal hollow point or SWC lead bullet.

Where I normally carry my handgun is right where the stock of my rifle bumps and rubs when it's slung over my shoulder.

3. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

I did not carry a back up for a long time. A pack of coyote and wild dogs mix changed my mind one morning as I was coming down from my stand.

4. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

I carry my Ruger 9mm in the woods with me all the time now! In 2012 I came out of the woods with just my bow in hand and had 2 coyotes between my truck & I, Thank God one of the club members drove up and scared them off. Since then even If I have my rifle with me I still carry my 9mm with the bigger clips so I can have more rounds. The yotes in Ga are getting bolder,I have had two encounters with them in the woods where they showed no fear of me,not skid-dish at all,I even had one growl at me.

5. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

That sounds about right. My experience that changed my mind was during bow season. My quiver only holds 5 arrows. I stuck 5 of them but the other 4 had me tree'd one of the guys came down to check on me and luckily ha had his hand gun on him. They actually stayed at the base if the tree growling up at me. Now that Ga has changed the laws, if you have a Firearms permit, you can carry concealed during bow season.

6. glock26USMC

glock26USMC Supporting Member

7. GH

GH Administrator Staff Member

I carry a North American Arms .22 hair trigger as my back up.

8. jbardellini

jbardellini Member

For now a .45 but will carry a 10mm hunting when I get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

feral dogs

can I hunt feral dogs?
    I could climb a tree out in the woods and, after I'm thoroughly surrounded, take out the "Take Down" 10/22 and start doing head shots. It's quiet enough that maybe I can take out the whole pack. 25 round magazines, you know.

10. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Sig Sauer sp2022 chambered in .40S&W + a Georgia skinner made by Teds knives of Thomasville, Ga.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  11. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

From what I have been told, if it does not have a collar on it, running loose, it is considered feral.

12. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Well, I don't go into the kitchen without a firearm. If I've got pants on, I've got a keltek p3at in the back pocket. I prefer that to be back up to a 'real gun' on the hip in the mid-power range. So .357, 1911, sig 9mm, or snub .44 gets that duty.
    I hunt with handguns, so depending on what I'm using I might change it up. But the typical is to hunt with a .44 under the shoulder and the 9mm on the hip. I once got to my hunting place and parked an hour before sunup. I got out of the truck and heard a 'dog' bark on the other side of the small valley. Then I heard 5 or 6 yotes answer from my side. I then walked into those woods in the dark, knowing that there were at least 5 mouths that were better at hunting than I in those woods. After I got settled in my spot, I heard them pass on either side of me. I hunt from the ground, so I was on their turf. It was nice to have a high-cap, night sighted pistol with.

13. glock26USMC

I don't have a collar on ;)

14. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

Maybe you should. :eek:

15. glock26USMC

Probably not a good idea ;)

16. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

You and Tyson would match. :D

17. strycnine

strycnine New Member

I don't carry a backup when I hunt, but I do have this in the Jeep.

[​IMG]

18. FallingLeaf

FallingLeaf New Member

strycnine very impressive. What do you usually use it for?

19. strycnine

strycnine New Member

Just something quick and handy. Range toy mostly.

20. shaftoe

shaftoe New Member

I typically hunt with an M1A. With 40 rounds split between 2 magazines, I don't see a reason to carry a backup.