Deer feed and minerals

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Blackjack, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack New Member

I have to admit I feel a little like I am talking to myself in an empty room with so few people on the forum:)
    Anyway, what do you guys use (if any) in the way of minerals and protein feed for deer. I have used Antlermax some but I'm thinking about going with another brand this time around

2. GAgal

GAgal Banned

Just give it time. There will be lots of people to talk to before long. :)

3. jbardellini

jbardellini Member

The forum is new I'm sure once the word gets out and more people find the site it will pick up .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ranger

Ranger New Member

I use the tractor supply mineral blocks, once I get them interested in a site, then I just dig a 2'x2' hole about 8" deep.
    Then I add a 50lb bag of trace minerals and 20lb morton's pool salt mixed up well.
    Deer seem to love it and it's pretty cheap.

5. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

I like to get the mineral bags from the feed and seed store. Designed for cattle but deer like it. It needs to be put out before spring up through summer. That is when they need it most for antler growth and the does for feeding the new born fawns.

6. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

BTW, welcome to the forum Black Jack! We are only a few days old here on the forum. Help spread the word. Once the forum gets kicked into gear, we will be able to attract vendors and have contests and give aways. This forum is part of a family of very strong group of forums.

7. glock26USMC

glock26USMC Supporting Member

+1..........

8. phideaux

phideaux New Member

Hey BJ,
    I found that just shelled corn, with grape koolaid powder sprinkled on it works for me.
    Of course these Ky deer are picky creatures.

Jim

9. Airpusher

Airpusher New Member

Never heard of using kool aid. Works pretty good?

10. phideaux

phideaux New Member

Yep, for me.

I think they can smell it from afar off, and its sweet.

Grape is best, :)

Jim

11. Blackjack

Blackjack New Member

I have well established mineral sites...

but I am trying to increase body and antler size on the place I hunt and not just attract the deer. Do you use a specific brand of protein supplement?

12. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

13. phideaux

phideaux New Member

No, I dont use anything but sheeled corn.

They grow big here ,because you only got 2 weeks a year to hunt with a rifle. a couple days here and there with black powder, and a couple weeks Bow.

On my farm , my nephew took a trophy 15 pt 2 years ago, and I see em that big regularly.

Jim

14. Ehunt

Ehunt New Member

I use trophy rock. The deer I hunt- talbot and heard county love the rock and will slap dig a HOLE in the ground for this stuff!

15. camotoy

camotoy New Member

we use applevalley protien pellets 21% and use Lucky buck minerals. 20 bucket of lucky buck and 2 tons of protein

16. ojibwa

ojibwa New Member

I have tried bagged trace mineral salt from feed stores, deer love it but it adds very little to the overall health of the deer and has too much salt..

I have also used several commercial mixes, the two best ones as far as usage lucky buck and 30-06 mineral..

You have to have the proper balance of phosphorous, calcium, selenium and magnesium there are other things as well but they are the four most important ones..

17. Gator

Gator Member

The best time to introduce a supplement to deer is right after hunting season closes. The latter half of winter is when deer have the least amount of browse available so it is the easiest time to get them to try something new. I started feeding Antlermax in January on lease I used to be a member of in LA, the deer went nuts over and continued to eat it year round. It was a totally free range lease, so no empirical data is available on deer body condition, etc., but the does we took nearby were in good condition. The only slow down in consumption of Antlermax was during the peak of the acorn drop. I am unaware of anything that deer prefer over acorns, especially White Oak, Sawtooth or other sweet acorn varieties.

OBTW, I spent 21 years in manufacturing for the outfit that makes Antlermax, including during the time it was introduced. Antlermax is a thoroughly researched, well balanced product with quality ingredients. I don't work for them anymore, so I have no financial incentive to be a shill.

18. ojibwa

ojibwa New Member

the only hard mast I am aware of that deer prefer over white oaks or sawtooth are chestnuts.. There are several new verities of hybrid chestnuts that you can plant that grow relatively fast..
    But unless you are in a controlled ei: high fenced enviroment or very large property the number one thing deer need for larger antlers and bodies is age, proper nutrition will help to enhance that..

19. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Big & j has worked good for me

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

20. ojibwa

ojibwa New Member

one thing you do have to understand though... if you are going to undertake a a feeding program for deer it is a year round 24/7/365 deal... NOT JUST DURING DEER SEASON or right before..

I have a buddy who feeds year round and avg 12 bags of deer feed a week @ an avg cost of $12 per bag, he buys his feed by the pallet.

that is 12x52=624 bags of feed @$7488 a year just for deer feed..

many folks toss a little feed out starting in AUG and then stop at the end of JAN you are actually doing more harm then good.. I would sugest several feeders like this depending the size of your property.

I have used record rack and banks feed with good results..

Attached Files: