Georgia: State Senate to Vote on Bill to Allow Hunting with Suppressors?

Discussion in 'General Hunting Forum' started by buck119, Feb 26, 2014.

1. buck119

buck119 New Member

More here: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...o-allow-hunting-with-suppressors.aspx?s&st&ps

2. Yote

Yote New Member

I hope they pass that.
    Of course the wife wouldn't since I'd have to have one on my varmint rifle.

3. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Me too

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

I am calling

I am going to call my state House representatives today, and maybe some others from my area even if they aren't in my exact district.
    I will ask them to vote for SB 93 now that it has been approved by the Senate and has crossed-over to the House.

Here's a link to the actual text of this law (it's short and simple) and a summary of the history of when it was introduced, past votes and committee assignments, etc.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20132014/SB/93

I think it's a good idea.
    I own an AAC silencer and I'd like to be able to legally hunt with it. I think this would be just as safe as hunting without it, but better for my hearing and better for the tranquility and comfort and peace that some nearby landowners would like to enjoy and keep enjoying.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

Keep in Mind

I doubt that anybody I talk to at a politician's office would want to discuss the merits of the bill, but IF THEY DO, here's a key point I'm going to be ready to make:

Most hunting rifles, with normal ammunition that is standard for their caliber, will NOT be "silent" or anything close to it, even with a silencer or "sound suppressor." The kind of rifles normally used to hunt varmints, predators, or big game like deer and hogs and bear, are going to be rifles that fire bullets well above Mach 1. These supersonic bullets will give a sharp "crack" at least as loud as a .22 rifle being fired, or a small "ladyfinger" firecracker being detonated.

I'm not seeking to make my .308 deer rifle truly "silent." I want it to be quieter so that it's less damaging to my hearing if I fire it without ear plugs in my ears and ear muffs over the top of them, which is what it normally requires when you shoot it unsuppressed.

Now my .22 LR rifle, with subsonic ammo, will be nearly "silent" when I shoot it. But that's one of the few calibers that will be effectively silenced. And it's for small game hunting or pest control only. All my varmint and big game rifles use much higher-velocity ammo.

6. buck119

buck119 New Member

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/georgia-lawmakers-pass-sweeping-gun-bill/nfHn6/

Georgia lawmakers pass sweeping gun bill

"House Bill 60 received final passage by a vote of 112-58 and now goes to Gov. Nathan Deal’s desk. The approval came despite national efforts by opponents to defeat what they dubbed the “guns everywhere” bill."

"The final version would legalize the use of silencers for hunting"

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

Yep.

Yep, it passed, as part of HB 60.
    Now I have to decide if I'm going to take advantage of this by buying (or building on a Form 1) a suppressor for a caliber larger than .22LR, which I already own. I'd like to get one for my .308, but that's $1000 for the can and $200 for barrel threading (or $150 for a thread adapter if I use my M1A and take off the front sight and flash hider assembly and use those threads.)

Maybe I should get my Rem 700 varmint rifle in .223 threaded. That would be great for varmints and predators like coyote, and good for deer out to 200 yards for most shots at the heart or neck (I couldn't do a quartering-away shot, though. Not enough penetration).

8. strycnine

strycnine New Member

gunsmoker, have you tried out a YHM Phantom suppressor? I have two and they're pretty good for the money.

9. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Sdtacticalarms....have plans to build your own (they work)

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk