Grey Squirrel Hunting

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by GH, Jan 23, 2014.

1. GH

GH Administrator Staff Member

Any squirrel hunters out there? They get a bad rap, but I love the meat. Taste just like the land they live on, which is always pretty good provided they are country squirrels.

I only have fox squirrels in my region, but I would love to bag a grey or two.

Anyone have pics of their take?

2. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

I know this guy. He ain't as young as he used to be, but none of us are. Well, he had a 'senior moment' just over two years back. Unfortunately, he had it with his table saw. Ouch. Long story short, his right had was short pinky, ring, and thumb, and he was right handed. So I took this nifty little Beeman .22lr pistol with wrap around grips, and shot a squirrel with only using my index and middle finger on the gun. Just to show him it could be done. Me and a buddy drove up to see him and I left it with him. I got it back last year. I'm happy to say he is shooting quite well lefty now. I was happy to be able to lend it to him, and happy to get it back too. It is a wicked squirreler, just not easy to carry.
    [​IMG]

This guy was busy doing squirrel stuff when I came upon him.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've found a .22 pellet gun works well to. My Beeman springer rifle has a better trigger, but the Benjamin Titan with the gas piston has much more power (11 vs 15 ft/lbs if I remember correctly). Both work if you put it in the right place. Cheap and quite.

3. GH

GH Administrator Staff Member

I prefer to hunt them with pellet guns as well. It keeps the rest from running off.

Any good recipes?

4. FallingLeaf

FallingLeaf New Member

What is that top gun?

And the revolver is as big as that squirrel. You're a good shot.

5. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Yeah, that revolver is an 8" barrel on a .17 hmr. The round is only 17 grains. It is a necked down .22mag. It is all scream and little punch. I gut shot a squirrel with one once. It looked like a pencil puncture on the 'in' side, and I could fit three fingers into the exit wound. Even out of the pistol they run well over 2000f/s. It is like shooting a lazer pointer. A buddy had a range with a stop at 100 yards. We had sporting clays that had landed over the berm and we placed them up on the bank behind the 100 yard targets. So, 110 yards or so. Zero hold over, just put it on target and don't move it when you pull the trigger and it would bust the clay. But you had to be quick. The guys wife has this scoped light weight black and pink rifle and she would just bust them quick as could be.

The pistol up top is a German made Beeman .22lr. It is a 'free pistol' so shouldn't have a scope. I don't like scopes, but it came with one and without a back site, so scope it is. 1 round, side bolt, and the lightest trigger you can imagine. If you hold it in your right hand and drop your hand to your side and let go of the gun, it won't drop. The grip wraps around and holds onto your had. I saw it in a local pawn shop, saw it was a Beeman and assumed it was a pellet gun. So I asked if it was compressed air, or a springer. He pulled it out, and it was a .22lr. I got it for $240 otd. Never seen one like it before or since, and no. It is not for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

db

6. FallingLeaf

FallingLeaf New Member

That's really interesting how the grip holds your hand. Never knew of a gun that did that. Thanks for explaining about the guns.

7. rnc

rnc New Member

Cool looking pistol you have there..

That Burris scope probably cost nearly what you paid for the whole rigg :0)

8. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

The only reason it has a scope is that one came on it, and it had no back site. So, scope and gun, $240 otd.

db

9. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Was actually just posting in one of the other subforums about my lack of squirrel hunting knowledge. Learning though, but no pics for now and its the end of the season.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk