Handgun for Back-Up to Rifle

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by gunsmoker, Feb 3, 2014.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

So who carries a handgun as a "back up" gun when hunting with a rifle or shotgun or bow or muzzle-loader?

I didn't carry a pistol the last time I hunted deer with my .308 rifle. However, my rifle was a semi-auto and I had a 10-round magazine in it, with a second 10-round mag in my jacket pocket. So I figure I could kill whatever needed killing, even if it came in groups!

If I had to finish off a wounded deer at point blank range, spitting distance, I guess I'd just have to use the .308 and maybe aim for the neck or back of the head if the deer is still enough.

I like carrying a pistol on my right hip or just behind, at the 4 o'clock position. This makes it bump and rub against the stock of my rifle when it's slung on my right shoulder.

What do y'all think of carrying a pistol while hunting with some other kind of weapon?

2. GAgal

GAgal Banned

I do. I carry a G19 whenever I'm in the woods.

3. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

What is the 'rifle' thing you speak of?
    I back up my pistol with another pistol, then have a dinky pistol in my back pocket too.

db

Attached Files:

• 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      94 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  4. Airpusher

Airpusher New Member

Always carry a pistol in the woods. Seems like the thing to do. Could be zombies in the woods which would require multiple shots.

5. dutchs

dutchs New Member

I carry the .357 - 8 rounder now and since we have a lot of snakes(poisonous are the norm) I keep the Governor with .410 birdshot in it...I hate Poisionous snakes....

6. GAJeff

GAJeff Moderator Staff Member

I hate a snakes!:D

7. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Not to hi-jack, but snake shot always confuses me. Hollow points work just fine on those suckers. Hollow points, concentrating on the front site, and trigger control. They come with the added bonus that if you snake has two legs they still work well.

Dogsbreath

8. dutchs

dutchs New Member

I have some low swampy area i just wouldn't trust my own footing in let alone my aim. I will trust my governor to the Water moccasins....:D

9. strycnine

strycnine New Member

I don't carry one. I do carry an AR15 with a 20rd magazine though.:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  10. GeorgiaRebel

GeorgiaRebel New Member

I usually carry my 357 with me in the woods. It has the added advantage of using the same ammo when I am using my Henry rifle to hunt with.

11. brittthomas

brittthomas New Member

Glock 19 in a jacket slot holster. Easy access if your wearing a heavy jacket during deer season or a turkey vest.

12. ShotgunJoe

ShotgunJoe New Member

I usually just carry whatever my current carry happens to be that week. Last time it was my para 1911, but I gone with a .22 before.

13. sheepdog6

sheepdog6 New Member

I always carry a pistol along with my long gun when hunting. Either a 9 mm or .45 1911 in a shoulder holster. It comes in very handy for that coup de grace shot when you only wound a deer. And great for other things.... snakes, firing signal shots if you get lost, etc, etc.

14. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

G-20 is my carry gun in the woods. Hard to beat 10MM.

15. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

I carry my 9mm or .38, never know when a sidearm can come in handy. Never leave home without one of em anyway.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

16. buck119

buck119 New Member

Ok. Let me ask.

If you could chose between:

A) a 17+1 rounds 9mm full size semiauto.

B) a 7 rounds .357MAG, 2.5" revolver.

C) a 6 rounds 44Special 6.5" revolver.

And assuming you are proficient with all the three firearms. Which one would youn chose and which ammo would you load it with.

17. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

I carry the Glock 20 in 10mm for the advantage of both power and capacity. The main reason I think capacity is important is where we hunt, packs of coyotes and wild dog mix is a problem.

18. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Never shot a 10mm before...id have to go with the .357 in most situations because recoil isn't as bad as the .44 and it'll still take down most anything GA could throw at ya. And with Hornady critical defense. Plus revolvers tend to be a little more forgiving in dirty situations. Last thing ya need is to get lost, fall in the mud and have to try to break down a handgun to clean just to fire distress shots or fend off any curious critters.

19. buck119

buck119 New Member

I have always carried my 9mm with two extra magazines (and what you say about packs of coyotes make me think it was the right choice). Last year though we had an encounter with a black bear. Fortunately he decided to let us alone but the size of that beast made me think that maybe a 357 or bigger could have benn more appropriate :D.

20. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

At least with the 9mm spray and pray could have been a viable tactic though