Hello From Covington/Conyers

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dseagraves, Mar 10, 2014.

1. dseagraves

dseagraves New Member

Hello everybody. I am a first timer to hunting all together. I have never hunted a day in my life. I bought me a shotgun and pistol and have decided it was time to pick up a hobby because all I do is work and school. I am an EMT, almost Paramedic. I work are a private ambulance service for DeKalb Co. 911. I have been working and doing school for 2 years and don't have a hobby other then video games but I don't want to do that really any more. I feel I need to go out and get into nature. And what a great way of doing that then to go hunting. This turkey season is my very first hunting season. I just don't have a clue on where to go hunting. I have thought and looked at WMAs. But choosing to start turkey hunting this late in the year and doing nothing to prepare til just a week ago. So WMAs might be out of the question because of the quotas. So Oconee National Forest might be the next bit. I have a co worker with 200+ acres in central/south Georgia that he uses for bringing kids camping. He said I could go down and hunt there if I want to, so going to go check that out this weekend. If anyone has any advice or tips for hunting turkey or hunting anything in-general would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gator

Gator Member

Howdy

Welcome to the forum.

The key to success in harvesting game is 1) find where the critters are and 2) find what they are eating. Yes, calling a gobbler is a great challenge and fun, but if you know where the hens are feeding during the day your odds increase significantly.

If you hunt on your friend's property, ask where they routinely see birds, where the birds prefer to roost.

Gobblers like to strut to show off for the hens, old logging roads in the woods are commonly used by turkey's. Farm birds strut on the edges of fields.

3. buck119

buck119 New Member

Welcome to the forum

4. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

Welcome to the forum and follow Gator's advice.

5. GAJeff

GAJeff Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and ask questions.

6. glock26USMC

glock26USMC Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum !

7. jbardellini

jbardellini Member

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk