How to learn survival / hunting skills?

Discussion in 'General Hunting Forum' started by ovinovin7, Jun 21, 2014.

1. ovinovin7

ovinovin7 New Member

My pops wasn't around to teach me how to hunt but I've always wanted to learn. I'm 20 now and figure I can figure it out on my own.

What steps do people take to learn how to hunt if they're learning on their own?

2. TrailBlazer999

TrailBlazer999 Member

Joining a site like this is a good start. You'll meet alot of good people who can give you some good advise. The internet is your friend on this. I was in the same boat a few years ago. I just started googling and reading everything i could find. After that experience is your best teacher. I went out there and hunted. Start small. I started with squirrel which is a lot of fun. I made mistakes and tried to learn from them. I didn't get a single squirrel the first month i hunted but i learned and i learn something new every time i go into the woods. That's part of what it's all about. Don't get discouraged if you don't get anything at first. Just keep trying. Go out there and enjoy God's creation. Above all, HAVE FUN and BE SAFE.

3. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Find a hunting buddy...where are you located

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

4. Mog

Mog New Member

Hey mate,
    How much time have you spent in the outdoors? Now is the time to acquaint yourself with the bush, summer hiking/scouting trips will teach you a lot about what animals live in the area and get you familiar with the area.
    Ask heaps of questions and try to hook up with guys who can give you a hand learning the ropes.
    One of the keys is play a long game, this is a sport where every time you go into the bush you learn something new and just spending time watching young deer playing is often enough for me to declare a day a raging success. Don't expect huge success straight away, it generally takes time and a bit of luck, don't get depressed and pack it in due to a few hard luck days, it will fall into place it just takes time and effort, a lot of early mornings and some late evenings too.

Ask away and have a look at howtohunt.com too, Steve is building a resource for exactly what you are after.

Regards,

Mog