hunting with silencers

Discussion in 'General Hunting Forum' started by gunsmoker, Feb 23, 2014.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

Currently, Georgia law forbids hunting with a silencer (sound suppressor, can, firearm muffler, sound moderator--whatever you want to call it).

Last year, there was a bill (SB 93) that would have allowed it in Georgia, while increasing the penalties for unlawfully hunting.

That bill died. It never "crossed over" from the Senate to the House.

I think that silencers should be allowed for hunting. Period.

Although if the opposition against silencers is too strong to overcome, and if it is based on the myth that people's deer rifles will become "silent" when equipped with a silencer, and you could be sitting in your house watching TV and not know that your neighbor just shot and killed a deer in your back yard, I think we could pass a law allowing silencer for hunting ONLY with clearly supersonic ammunition, so that there will always be a "crack" from the gun that's always going to be at least as loud as a .22 rifle with high velocity ammo.

2. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

Hunting (or range shooting in general) with a silencer is only logical.

It muffles the sound of the shot and keeps from disturbing everything and everyone within 1/2 mile of the shot. It also helps protect your ears since most hunters do not use ear plugs or muff's when in the woods.

I've shot with some and while they do decrease the noise, they do NOT make the gun whisper quiet like in the movies. Proper ear protection should still be taken, but the level of protection can be greatly reduced over shooting without a can.

I think the people that oppose legislation for this have seen to many Hollywood movies.

3. Beastly

Beastly New Member

I can agree on many fronts that suppressors are safer for the shooter's hearing and more pleasant for everyone and everything in the area. I don't really see the point of allowing suppressors and restricting the use of subsonic ammunition though - accepting conflicting requirements for the sake of making something easier to pass seems counterproductive.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

step forward

If you allow subsonic ammo and silencers, you're going to have some almost silent weapons. Ones that work just like the anti-gunners and the "fair chase - fair sporting chance" hunters object to. Shooting without disturbing game nearby.

It could be a safety issue, too. The sound of a gunshot tells people you're around and you've got a gun and you are looking for game to kill. That often makes them take steps to not be mistaken for game, or not to put themselves in a position where they could catch a bullet by accident. A really silent weapon would give no such safety warning or notice to others).

So banning subsonic rounds while still letting people shoot supersonic ammo thru silencer would be a HUGE STEP FORWARD and a big improvement over how the law is today.

It would not be "counter productive." It would be productive and result in a big net gain. It just wouldn't be as big as we would prefer.

I'd prefer to win the $13 million lottery AND have all my money tax-free. But it's not "counter-productive" that the lottery is only 3 million this week, and they withhold 40% for taxes, AND they only pay me annual payments not a big lump sum.

5. strycnine

strycnine New Member

I hope it passes this time.

Subsonic ammo is generally not used to kill big game. I hand load 220gr Prohunters for my 300 AAC but, I would never shoot a deer with it. It just won't expand like supersonic does. It also has a rainbow trajectory and drops like a rock.

ETA: Most subsonic won't expand reliably.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

.44 and .45

If silencers were legal for hunting with any ammo, I'm sure SOME people would fit a .44 Special or .45 Colt caliber rifle or carbine with a can and go hunting with 240-grain lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow-Point ammo loaded to a muzzle velocity of around 1000 f.p.s. That would be "subsonic" and still pack quite a wallop.
    Rainbow trajectory? Sure, but such bullets at those velocities are regarded as being fine for close-range work, fired out of "brush guns" and good to at least 100 yards. If you can hunt deer with such rounds fired from an unsuppressed 6" barreled revolver, you can do it even better out of a 20" barreled carbine.

I agree that most big-game rifle bullets in the 7mm- 338 caliber class aren't made to expand at a measly 1000 f.p.s. velocity, but those aren't the only kind of rifle cartridges that can be loaded subsonic. Among other rifle calibers that could be effectively dowloaded to subsonic levels with a handload, we have:

.444 Marlin with 300 grain bullets.
    .45-70 with 350, 400, or even 500 grain bullets (the 500-grainers would only have to be downloaded a bit to go subsonic; they only reach 1500 f.p.s. with full powder charges).
    .50 Beowolf with 350-400 grain bullets (normal velocity 1800 f.p.s. from an AR carbine; could be downloaded to 1000 if you were willing to cycle your rifle's bolt manually for a second shot.

You could even take a .357 magnum handgun bullet, 158 grain, made to expand in meat at 4" barrel handgun velocities (1200 f.p.s.) and put it into a .35 Remington rifle case and download the powder to give you only 1000 f.p.s. velocity from your lever action rifle or Rem 7600 pump-action.

7. strycnine

strycnine New Member

Glad I'm not one of those guys...lol:D

300 AAC Blackout.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

New law

This thread hasn't been updated since February.

As another article here at Georgia Hunting.oRg says, the silencers-for-hunting law DID get passed, but only as part of House Bill 60 (HB-60) which was signed by Gov. Deal in April and took effect July 1, 2014.

Title 27 is the part of Georgia law about hunting, fishing, trapping, etc.

And O.C.G.A. 27-3-4 (a)(9) now says that while the general rule is no hunting with any silencer or suppressor, there are three exceptions:
    -- hunting on your own property, with your silencer.
    -- hunting on somebody else's property with BOTH permission to hunt there AND specific, verifiable permission to hunt with a suppressor / silencer.
    -- hunting on public lands ONLY if those lands have been "designated" and approved for silencer hunting. And at this time NO PUBLIC LANDS have yet been approved by DNR for the use of silencers.

So there you go. Hunt your own land -- no special paperwork needed.
    Hunt a friend's land or club land, then you need "verifiable" permission, which I would assume means either written permission OR the owner of the property needs to be there with you or close enough to come over and talk to the ranger within minutes.

9. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

Thanks for the info.