I got bit by a Zombie!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Recreation and Conservation' started by dogsbreath, Jun 1, 2014.

1. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Some of you may know Supervisor42 set up a Zombie Hunt down in south west Alabamy. I went deep south last weekend. Well, I took a risk, and I got bit. We had great fun.

Super set up (with his fine nephew and his wife) a great course. But it had one set back for my application. It was a 'one run course'. Once you ran it once, you really couldn't run it again. So much was surprise and handling the unknown.

But it got me thinking. I don't have much land, but some. Enough even. I've been noodeling it 'round and walked the place. I figure I can set up a course.

Start in the field with the clay chunker. Shoot two clays up, and start the clock. If you want one clay, then the next, ok. 10 points each. Launch 'em both at the same time, and get 'em both, 30 points. Then, head down the path and grab that wheel gun and blast those 6 clays over there. 2 points each. Another 20 yards, and you have a rifle and some balloons across the valley. Now, Take out your side arm. These next targets are close, but you can't stop moving. You must move the whole time from point c to d. Plink as many along the way as you can.

Now you are at the 75 yard target station. You've got a nice .44 mag pistol there, 10 points each, a solid rife, 5 points. There across the valley are more balloons. 2 points each. Move up to the 50 yard line and there's a shot gun. Look over your left shoulder and you see a bunch of balloons up in the trees. 2 points each. Another pair of pistol and rifle at the 50 yard target, then some more moving and shooting. Get to the 25 yard line and you need to get accurate. Shoot that paper over yonder. Your score is 10 minus the width of your group less one bullet diameter. Move up to the 15 yard line and do some defensive fast shooting. Then pick off the remaining clays set around the dingle you are in.

Stop the clock.

The clock will be explained after you run the course. You can use my guns, or bring your own. Any combo is fine. The challenge? You must beat your score. So any arms you use is fine. You are competing against yourself.

About 75 rounds fired. Probably 15 minutes. Reset and score the course, and do it again.

Yeah, I got bit. The infection is spreading. I can see some folks setting up a course. Running thier grandkids thru it. Snagging folks from the interwebs to run it.
    This could catch on.
    Just think about it. Shooting, self improvement, competition, shooting, what could go wrong?

I've got the course worked out in my noodle, and know how to fit it to my land. Tomorrow I hope to realize several steps of the course.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

lop

2. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

That sounds like fun!

3. GAgal

GAgal Banned

That would be a blast. :D

4. GAJeff

GAJeff Moderator Staff Member

That's would be awesome!

5. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

well, I have some house work then car work to do, then I'll be on it.
    db

6. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Well, I got the course laid out. Bought some balloons, and have clays and lots of ammo on hand. Minimum of 113 shots is how it is set up now. That's about $28 worth of ammo using reloads where I can.
    I hope to run the course live today and/or tomorrow.
    I will have to modify it so that recoil sensitive (kids and wimps) can shoot it too. I've a few .44mags in the course, and I have to figure out how to mix in more lighter recoil stuff. The problem is, I have more ammo for the big stuff. .22mags are hard to find, and .223 are kinda pricey. I'll get this figured out though.

db

7. GAgal

GAgal Banned

Sounds like a lot of fun!

8. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

How is the course coming along?

9. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Good! I took about 6" pieces of solid wire and nailed them to trees with a roofing nail. This let me wrap a balloon onto them really easy, and, if they get hit, they are simple to replace. I hung some steel between trees in other places in the yard too. I think I'll scale it back a bit from the 113 shots I worked up the other day, but still, it looks good. I just need someone to come over and play with me, that's all. Two of the granddaughters will be here Saturday. :)

db

10. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

Wish I had a weekend free soon.

11. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Ok, I got this pup worked out finally. It is 12 stages. The twelfth is to ring the chime with the air rifle to stop the clock. Like planned, I'm starting in the field with the clayput. 2 is a simple .22 wheel gun and clays that are in a line. 3 is the 'across the valley shot. Points for balloon hits, but also points for unused rounds. So you have ten rounds and 4 balloons. 5 points each for the balloons, 1 point for each round left over. That is using the iron sited .357 lever. It is a tack driver as Beastly can attest. 4 is the move and shoot. Clays up close, but you can't stop moving. 10 clays, 20 rounds, points for left over ammo. 5 is a simple balloons on a tree (nail a 6 inch piece of wire and you can mount a balloon easy breezy) Nail 'em with the pump shottie. 6 and 7 are 75 yard shots with various guns. 8 is shots across a short valley while you make your way down to the 50 yard bench. Then some fast rifle work with .223 and .44mag (or .22mag for wimps), then move up to the 25 yard range and do some mid range pistol work (9mm/357/.45acp). Then go ring the chime with the air gun to stop the clock.

12 stages, 92 shots max, 183 points, 16 clays, and 11 balloons. All of the stages can be worked with low recoil guns for the youngsters. I have all the guns here, but if you want to use your own, that's fine too. The key to this course is that it is flexible. You are playing against yourself. So if you go the big bore route or the low recoil route it doesn't matter. As for ammo, I've got bunches of rounds. If you want to run this thing all day, I'd like you to chip in, but ammo is like potatoe chips 'round here. (Is it Quayle season?)

Any takers? I'm off this Tuesday and Sunday afternoons are the best time to schedule fun.

Don't be bashful, gimme a holler.

Db

12. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

Sounds like fun. We will definitely have to get together as soon as the holidays and my schedule allow.

13. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Yeah, I hear you posting, but don't see you pulling down the driveway. Seems you bailed on me on my last shoot too.

Administrator, huh? Aren't you supposed to set the standard?

Ball is in your court. Get with your bride and gimme a holler. We can set up a date and a menu too.

db

Btw, if you took this jibbing as anything other than good natured, you took it wrong. ;-)

TatZombie pm'ed me. Don't be so bashful, post up so others can join the fun. 12/14 is a viable date for me. I don't shoot before noon on Sundays to be kind to my neighbors, but that still leaves us plenty of time.

As I've posted in other invites, I've a nice set up, but not good for large crowds. This course would work with 4-5 people. Not to much time waiting, enough folks to make it fun.

So I guess this is an o-fishial invite.

Shoot at Dogbreaths on 12/14 p.m.

Holler if you are interested.

db

14. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

lol.... My schedule and all the time spent sitting on airplanes has taken a toll on my activities. We will have a clear schedule in Feb.

15. buck119

buck119 New Member

Amazing ! I want that!

I have to ask the condo association if I can set something like that in the common areas :rolleyes: