Lake Russell WMA Mar 1-7, Hog Hunting Dates

Discussion in 'Georgia DNR Forum' started by buck119, Feb 22, 2014.

1. buck119

buck119 New Member

As per title.

By the way, it is not too far from Atlanta so I was thinking about visiting the place during those dates. Any tip about this WMA will be more than welcome :).

2. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

You do know that you have to use guns that are legal for that season, yes? So you can hunt hog on wma's now, but need to use small game guns. Would march be turkey guns? Can you bring down a hog with #4 shot? Or can you use other guns for this?
    I'd love to snag a hog.

dogsbreath

3. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

On WMAs you must use small game weapons except during deer rifle season. Look at the .17 HMR but must be a well placed head shot.

4. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

I've got a Henry .22 mag that I bought for hog on wma's, but I've not seen a live one to point it at yet. :(

5. buck119

buck119 New Member

My understand by reading the 'Hunting Seasons & Regulations' publication is that this is a specific exception and during those dates on WMA you can use any firearm.
    I'll report the text here when I get home.

6. buck119

buck119 New Member

Page 18

PAGE 37

PAGE 46
    By the way, if this can be of any interest, at page 62 there is the list of all special dates for all WMA's, for both feral hog and coyote hunts. Dawson Forest WMA for example May 16-23.

If there are any, that is a completely different subject. But that was one the reasons of my opening post.

PS: Georgia Hunting Seasons & Regulations 2013-2014 can be found here (on the right): http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  7. buck119

buck119 New Member

Considering that I have purchased my first license today I think I am the less prepared to discuss this subject but...

During Turkey Season (March 22 to Mat 25) you are supposed to use only a shotgun. Also, in order to hunt turkeys you are supposed to use only #2 or smaller shots. If you want to kill a hog during the same season on a WMA you are supposed to use the same weapon, a shotgun. But it was not 100% "clear" to me if I had to use the same ammunition (beacuse it was not specifically mentioned). In short my question was if the the choice of round was restricted to 'No. 2 or smaller shot' (as for turkeys) or if I could use slugs or buck-shots?
    My hope was that the rule was related to the firearm only and not to the ammunition as well.
    I asked around and I got different opinions, but I would say that the majority of the people agreed with saying that you should use the same ammo which is allowed for turkey.
    Today I attended the final review for the safety course, which is mandatory to get the license and I asked the officer who presided the exam the same question. Actually, after presenting the question in general terms, I specifically asked: "if, during the Turkey Season, while hunting for turkeys with a shotgun I see a hog, can I load the shotgun with a buckshot and shoot the hog?". The officer initially did not know the answer so he told me that he had to ask and that he would have answered the question after the final test, so I assume it is not really a question that they get very frequently. After the test he answered and the answer to my surprise was positive: "Yes, you can do that. If while you are hunting for turkeys you see a hog, you can load your shotgun with a buckshot and shoot the hog."

Please don't rely on this information. I trust the officer and what he told me but I think that to be 100% sure we should read the original text of the regulation (which I have yet to find).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014