Need Advice on a Camper Trailer

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, and ATVs' started by ShotgunJoe, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ShotgunJoe

ShotgunJoe New Member

I've always wanted one, nothing too complicated. Where is a good place to start? What are some personal experiences with pop ups, teardrops and full size trailers that anyone would like to share. I would be pulling it with a 94 dodge ram with no fifth wheel, which means nothing too big not that I wanted anything big anyway. I wouldn't be using it but probably once a month.

2. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

When I was looking for mine, I was looking at the 20 to 22 FT range. But they cost almost as much as the bigger ones. I ended up getting a 30 FT pull behind because I did not want to loose the bed space for the 5th wheel. Just pay attention to the weight. Mine is 10,000 lbs empty.

You can usually find a good deal on one that is last years model but still on the lot for a great price.

3. AndrewX

AndrewX New Member

Shotgun Joe,

Whether you're looking for new, near new, or "vintage" Craigslist is a great place to start and see what's available on any budget.

How will you be using your trailer? Will it stay at a hunting lease/camp or will you tow it to different locations? How many days will you spend in it at a time and how many people will be staying with you?

I have an older trailer semi-permanently parked at a hunting club campground. For me, the most important things are that it is warm in the winter, cool in the summer and dry year round. Next in importance is that I can take a warm shower after a cold day on a deer stand and I also need it to sleep up to three.

After spending a whole deer season in a tent, I wouldn't consider a pop-up and the tear drops aren't big enough to accommodate a shower. Given what I need, a 20-24' travel trailer fits best.

Good luck!

4. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

I've often thought that some custom built boxes would be cool. Not trailers, things to be delivered and moved with a rollback. You could make a serviceable unit for pretty small money, I'd bet. Nuttin fancy, just a good bathroom, bunks, and an awning for out front.
    Something like a modified 'pods' unit. Heck, if you had a rollback, you could just rent them out and move them around as needed.

db

5. ojibwa

ojibwa New Member

be wary of craigslist there are lots of camper flippers on there, more then you know... really give any camper or vehicle a good once over and then do it again..maybe have a pro inspect it.