OK, le't see if I got it right

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by buck119, Sep 26, 2014.

1. buck119

buck119 New Member

This is my next project: I want the most accurate 22WMR bolt action action rifle for 75-150 yards, that I can get with my budget. It will be used for target shooting and maybe hunting as well.
    The budget is $600 for both the rifle and the scope. If there is something left I will use it for ammo. My choice so far would be a bull barrel CZ 455 22WMR Varmint (by the way, if anybody has a spare one I would be interested).
    Where am I wrong?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Only problem i see..unless u have a endless supply of wmr rounds there kinda like unicorns...very hard to find retail. 17hmr is a little easier to get a hold of

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

3. buck119

buck119 New Member

You are 100% right. But lately unless I go to a gun store for other reasons I buy all ammo online. From what I see they are both available and comparable in price.
    I thought about the .17 but I already have a 22MAG revolver and I prefer not to add a new caliber to my arsenal.

4. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Wrong....more calibers the more happier u will be..."some famous dead dude"

5. Gator

Gator Member

I avoid adding calibers unless the deal is too good to pass up.

However I believe I have all of the bases covered.

As always, YMMV.

6. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

what is the 'scope' thing you speak of? Out to 150 yards isn't very far. Are you shooting squirrel at those distances? Have you shot my Henry? It is .22 mag and has the heavy octagonal (read 'original bull barrel'). Very nice shooting gun. Way more accurate than I am.

db

7. buck119

buck119 New Member

I don't think I have. I am sure it is a fine carbine. The youth 22 tat we have is actually very good at 100 yards (I installed a scope since the last time you saw it). The problem is that I don't think that at this point I want another lever action (nor a semiauto).
    As far as the use, as I said it will be mainly target shooting (the longest range I go to is 150 yards) and hopefully small game hunting.

8. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

A few comments on the .17 hmr....

Niffty round. It is necked down .22 mag (another favorite of mine). It is all velocity, very little mass. It is almost air gun pellet mass. I've seen them in 17 grain and the 'heavy' 20 grain. All the bullets I've found have been high end type bullets. No plated soft nose or plan jane types. All the ones I have a jackets, boat tailed, most with ballistic tips. Real screamers.

Shooting out of an 8" pipe I've hit clays (stationary) that were on a bank 110 yards away. ZERO hold over. So the gun is point blank out past 100 yards. Quite amazing. It is my primary squirreler. I shot one guy in the gut. It looked like a pencil point wound on the entry side, and there was a hole that I could put 3 fingers into on the exit. Think about that. If it was going about 2000 feet per second, how long did it take to go from one side of the squirrel to the other? I've seen what solid bullets do to S, and this was a wound caused by an expanded round.

The down side is that I find them hard to clean. The pipe is so tiny. You need special rods or use snakes to do it. Then the rods are so thin that they are prone to bending and even the snake is hard to get to feed down thru my short pipe. I think the rifle barrel could be a bugger to clean.

db

9. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Offtopic...17hmr with a bore snake isnt that bad..downnside is trying to feed the bore snake down the barrel

10. buck119

buck119 New Member

Any problem with cross wind with a bullet that is so light?

By the way, one of the features of the CZ 455 is that you can change the caliber, .17,.22LR or .22MAG. Barrels are not cheap but the 17 can be an option in the future.

11. buck119

buck119 New Member

... as far as cleaning the barrel is concerned, I have alway thought that the best way was to shoot more rounds :).

12. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

yup, it is 'still air' gun.

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

Savage 93

I saw a really nice Savage bolt action rifle in a gun shop a few months back.

The one I saw as .17 magnum, but I know they make it in .22 WMR also.

It's a Savage 93-BTV-S. With a laminate thumbhole stock, the Accu-Trigger, and a fairly heavy barrel with scope bases (and no iron sights).

Here's one on a gun auction site for less than $400.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=444795434

I myself have a Marlin 882 stainless steel .22 magnum, and I like it, but I've never really shot it over sandbags with a high quality scope. It's got a $99 Bushnell scope on it now. I shoot it out to 200 yards, and while the bullet drop is half of what the .22LR has at that range, it's still more than a foot of bullet drop from the 100-yard zero.

I'd get the .17 HMR if I had to do it all again, unless I wanted this rifle for coyote hunting. THEN the heavier bullets of the .22 WMR would be my choice.

14. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

I had the savage 93rvts...somethin like that SS Bull barrel thumb hole laminatr stock 16x power scope..a very nice tack driver...anything i aimed at dropped..coyotes pigs squrills crows racoons armidalllos and some taller four legged creatures head shots of course...i felt very comfortable shooting 150yds no questions asked...i did shooy 200yds at paper only..i just recently bought a 17wsm just for shooting 200yd squrills

15. buck119

buck119 New Member

Nice carbine. I saw one few weeks ago at the range. Even more beautiful than in pictures.
    I have a problem with the thumb hole though. One of my kids shoots left hand an one is right hand. Not the best combination. The bolt on the "wrong" side is a problem we can live with but the thumb hole would be an issue.
    Anyhow, I just pulled the trigger on a CZ 455 varmint. The post about the .17 convinced me even further that is the best option, considering that I can buy a barrel for that caliber as well if I decide to.

16. buck119

buck119 New Member

Ok. I could not resist. There was a special on the barrels.

[​IMG]

17. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

barrel swap?

So you've got this one CZ rifle and two barrels for it?
    Is the barrel swap something you can do yourself, at home?
    Or is it something you'll only do once every few years and then have a gunsmith do for you, when you need to change calibers based on changes in your shooting habits or what game you want to hunt?

If it were easy to do at home, like a Ruger 10/22 or 77/22 barrel swap is, I'd love to have two barrels for one stock/ receiver/ scope set.

P.S. With the rimfire ammo shortage in mind, having two barrels might give you the chance to shoot one when the other is out of action for lack of bang pills.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  18. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Hey Gun,
    One way to do the two barrels/one gun on the cheap is to get a nice, adult air gun. They are real guns. You can do real hunting with them. Trigger time is trigger time, and they are great for developing good skills. Quite, cheap, nicely made....

My beeman from wally world has .17 and .22 barrels and a nice trigger. My ?Cosman? with the gas piston has much more power (15 vs 11 ft/lbs) but a much stiffer trigger.

db