Vintage Military Rifles

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by SHOOTER13, May 10, 2014.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 New Member

The M1 Garand (officially designated as United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1), was the first semi automatic to be generally issued to the infantry of any nation. Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton, the Garand officially replaced the bolt action M1903 Springfield as the standard servive rifle of the United States Armed Forces in 1936 and was subsequently replaced by the selective fire M14 in 1957.

[​IMG]

Pictured above is my Springfield Armory M1 Garand...manufactured in November 1944. She is pictured with an original M1942 16" bayonet ( very rare...most were cut down to 10" ) and a repo M7 fragmentation grenade launcher.

Below...a repo 1943 ammo belt:

[​IMG]

=======================================================

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

M14

I had a Garand, then got a Springfield Armory M1A, then got another Garand...

Now I sold-off the Garands and am sticking with the M1A as the only rifle in that class.

I like the fact that it uses easily-detachable magazines and is not difficult to scope (even though a scope base is rather expensive, compared to a civilian bolt action hunting rifle).

This is my "deer rifle" most of the time.

Attached Files: