When going hunting for a day...

Discussion in 'Survival Skills and Techniques' started by watahshe, Jan 31, 2014.

1. watahshe

watahshe New Member

I was wondering what type of survival basics you carry with you when going out to hunt?

Of course one or more guns, a knife of some type, but what else? Extra socks, some bandaids, neosporin in a tube?

Trying to get some ideas.

2. phideaux

phideaux New Member

You got it ,on extra handgun, good knife (for guttin),

I also carry a pocket full of hard candy, and 2-3 snicker bars, bag of salted in the shell peanuts, and a thermos of HOT coffee.:cool:

Jim

3. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

I go pretty light. I don't hunt that far from the truck either. Anyone who has driven down any country (and not so country) road knows there are deer everywhere. So I'll go up hill from the truck, so my haul is down hill.
    Things I bring are:
    Standard pocket items. Knife, phone, .380 mag, little pocket tool, wallet, p3at, pen, ear plugs.
    Add to that a side arm (9mm sig usually) and a hunting pistol (.44mag or t/c in .454 or .270)
    Hunting items are a length (12-15ft) of that fiberglass rope (I call it elvish rope) to hoist up and clean, then drag a deer, thermos of coffee, Kindle, boat seat cushion to sit on.
    No fud. I don't eat before I hunt. I don't want to have to 'rotate stock' while in the woods.
    I leave my name and cell phone number on a card on the dash of my truck, and I usually let someone know that I'm heading out. I've given my Father gps co-ordinates for the area I hunt.
    Keep it simple stupid. That's my motto.

dogsbreath

4. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

I use a back pack. I keep a flashlight, spare batteries, binoculars, latex gloves, cover scent, breast spreader tool, hand warmers, water, and a snack....... Zip lock Baggies and zip ties. In cold weather I will throw in extra gloves and boggin.

Edit...
    40ft of para cord

5. GAgal

GAgal Banned

What BD said ^^^^ plus a first aid kit.

6. strycnine

strycnine New Member

Water, snacks, paracord, knives, survival blanket, flashlights, fire starters, compass and cell phone.

I do like the idea about leaving your name and number on the dash.

7. Yote

Yote New Member

Other than whatever I'm hunting with; I always carry 2 flashlights, hard candy, water, drag rope, and butt ribbon ( for tracking ).
    There's no need in packing my phone into the area's I usually hunt. No signal, so no use in packing it. But somebody always knows I'm in the woods, plus my Dad and brother knows my stand locations along with which stand I'm hunting.

8. Ranger

Ranger New Member

In the backpack is a good knife, couple lighters, couple bottles of water, a snack or two, paracord, cellphone, extra ammo, and an epi pen.
    Never have used a flashlight,but I might throw one in there during the off season.
    I like the idea of people knowing where I'll be hunting, but 90% of the time I'm by myself roaming 400+ acres, it would take someone over an hour to get from town to my hunting land.
    I have cell service all over my land though and about 30 minutes from the closest hospital.

Turkey and small game hunting, I'll just have a good knife, extra shells, and the epi-pen.

9. watahshe

watahshe New Member

Thanks for some really good ideas to add.

That idea of leaving a name and phone number on the dash of the vehicle is one I would not have thought of.

10. MarkWood

MarkWood New Member

In my pack: Fixed blade hunting knife, fire starter, compass, 50' of paracord, file, multitool, trailmix/candy bar, water (camelpak).

Right front pocket: folding clip on knife, swiss army knife, chap stick

There are other items in the pack but that covers the survival stuff.

11. GeorgiaRebel

GeorgiaRebel New Member

i usually hunt on my own property, so all I take is some paracord, rifle and a sidearm (usually a 357), knife, bottle of water, some kind of food (crackers, candy bars, etc.), and my cell phone.

12. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Hey! I seen that tractor before! How you doing GaReb?

Dogsbreath (aka Lop)

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

me

Let's assume I'm going hunting during the day, and I don't expect to be out before dark, or after dark. I'll plan on getting back to my vehicle while it's still daylight. And let's assume that I'm no more than a couple of miles from my vehicle, and most of the trip back to the car would be on a dirt road or other well-worn easily visible trail.

Let's assume I'm all alone and only responsible for one person-ME. And nobody else will be with me to share any of their gear.

I carry a small backpack (like a book bag that students use). it's got a big compartment and a few side pockets.

I start out warmly dressed, and as I hike and get warm some layers of clothes and maybe my hat and gloves go into the backpack. I'll also have a "space blanket" in there (not very warm, but it doesn't take up much room.) and a big 55-gallon garbage bag / lawn & leaf bag that I can pull over my head as a poncho. It's bigger than any regular poncho, and easily covers my gun and pack, too. I can whip out my pocketknife and cut a hole for my face

I usually have a couple bottles of water and a couple of granola bars. Nothing fancy. If I get lost and stuck in the woods overnight, having some food and water with me will be mentally comforting, even though logically I know my body won't "need" anything for the first 24 hours.

I usually have toilet paper in a zip-lock bag, with a lighter and/or a box of matches. The TP can be used for wiping as it was intended, OR it can be used for kindling to help start a fire.

There's some thin rope or twine or string in the backpack, too. Sometimes I bring a 30-foot length of strong rope-- half-inch nylon/poly braided. Something I could use to lower myself down a small cliff, or toss to someone to help rescue them or have them rescue me from water, mud, etc.

I have my cellphone with me, but I don't count on it working in the deep woods.

I usually have TWO flashlights with me. One that has a small array of LEDs instead of a regular bulb. This one has incredibly long run time, like 50+ hours on a set of batteries. And I carry extra batteries for it, too. Then I have a brighter light. One that throws a pretty powerful beam, but uses a lot of energy and therefore I don't expect long battery life from that one. At night I'll keep the low-power one on as I walk or prepare a camp site, and the big light only comes on now and then for a few seconds at a time when I really need it.

A dozen extra rounds for whatever gun I have with me is enough, I figure.
    I usually do NOT have a second gun, or a big Bowie / K-Bar knife.

That's about all I can think of right now.

(No first aid supplies. Although it wouldn't be a bad idea. A roll of duct tape could be handy both for making bandages (combined with some gauze or clean tissues or paper towels) and for making splints (combined with a couple of sticks for support braces), and for building other things like making a shelter for the night, marking trees along your path, or taping a note to a tree where others will probably find it.)

14. sheepdog6

sheepdog6 New Member

In our dog hunting club, you're never more than a couple hundred yards from your vehicle, so I keep it light.... long gun, sidearm w/extra mag, scabbard knife, cordage (for draggin or leashing dogs), hat, gloves (if cold enough). Leave the coffee thermos in the truck and pour up a cup immediately upon return. If I get into a serious situation, I've got my cell phone in my pocket for 911

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

tracking deer

so if you are hunting and shoot a deer and it is wounded, obviously hit and bleeding, might you chase it and track it and let it lead you a mile or two from your vehicle? A mile or more from your familiar territory, and in that mile you changed direction 5 times, crossed two streams or brooks (or was it the same brook, just crossing it at different points?) and the only other "landmark" you saw along the way was a ridge that ran for hundreds of yards in each direction.

Might you find yourself lost in the woods as the sun sets in such a situation?

It's for scenarios like that one that I carry survival gear. Even though I "expect" to be near my car, or I 'expect' to stay on the main hiking trail, you never know what might come up that compels you to go off the beaten path into unfamiliar territory.

16. budone1967

budone1967 New Member

For a day hunting trip I wear seasonal appropriate clothing. Take a back pack with 5" hunting knife, skinning knife, drag rope with harness, nylon rope, 2 flashlights, rain suite, hand warmers, small first aide kit, deer calls and scents, peanut butter crackers, beef jerky and 2 to 3 bottles of water. I also carry my EDC 45 ACP with an extra mag and my folding knife is clipped to my pocket. I may carry my bag chair depending on where I'm hunting.

17. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

I concur with the survival gear. I always have a 5-inch knife, fero rod, cordage for lashing up a shelter or millions of other uses, few water bottles, high calorie snacks, my 9mm with extra mag, and a weather/survival crank radio with flashlight and cellphone charger.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

18. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Wow...i go with either a my bow or gun pocket knife and cell phone

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

19. bulldog44

bulldog44 New Member

My fanny pack contains para cord 60 feet, two bottles water, two protein bars ,two led flashlights and spare batteries , spare ammo for whatever rifle I have , xds 9 mm and a spare mag , a good knife / gerber multi tool, emergency blanket and my cell phone. It's a lot of stuff but I hunt by myself most of the time.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  20. jphendrix

jphendrix New Member

I only take in my rifle, phone, and extra ammo. If its cold ill take a jacket. But I never hunt by myself. My husband feels ok with me going by myself but my daddy doesnt even though Im 31. And were not far from our vehicle. Ill also take my pocket knife.