when in doubt back out?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ojibwa, Aug 13, 2014.

1. ojibwa

ojibwa New Member

Don't want to start an argument..just saying I won't do it again..

I was hunting with a buddy in KY who is an outfitter.. I shot this deer slightly quartering to me one evening with a swhacker 100gr , caught one lung and arrow exited out front of gut.. Deer bled ok but not a lot.. Called my buddy and he showed up it was dark now and getting foggy.. we tracked for maybe 100yds and blood was sparse..he convinced me to come back the next day and we would find it, because there was gut on the arrow he was sure it was gut shot, I told him I knew I got in the lung..short story we left..

The next morning we came back and went maybe 50 to 75yds and found my deer laying next to a cattle fence ,or at least most of it!
    Dang yotes found it during the night and had dinner...I wish we had come back in a few hours and would have found him before the yotes did.

I was more then a little upset I hunt for meat just just racks... at least the cape was still good..

Attached Files:

2. camotoy

camotoy New Member

nice buck!!! sometimes its hard to leave a buck but a dog has helped us on a many deer that we had to track !

3. ojibwa

ojibwa New Member

I just leased some ground in Morgan county and introduced myself to the neighbor who informed me he had a little beagle hound that would track a shot deer, hope I don't need to use him but least he made the offer..

4. Gator

Gator Member

Friend of mine shot a doe a few years ago, but we could not find it that night. I found the bones the next day.

5. ojibwa

ojibwa New Member

guess I am old school... let em lay an hour or so then go find em..

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker New Member

what if

what if the coyotes had not come around?
    Would you still have used the meat, having gut-shot this deer some 12 hours previously? The 'yotes ruined or ate a lot of meat off the back end, but isn't there still plenty of untouched meat around the loin, shoulder, and ribs?

7. ojibwa

ojibwa New Member

the deer really wasn't gut shot the arrow cought some of the front part of the gut but didn't get into the paunch... and as for eating a deer that yotes had been on half the night nope not gonna do it..