Preferred deer hunting weapon

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Birddogyz, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

Which do you prefer? Rifle, black powder, bow, cross bow or shotgun.

I enjoy Bow hunting the most, black powder would be close though.

2. jbardellini

jbardellini Member

I prefer rifle hunting....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Member

front bumper

I've got 50% more confirmed kills with my .308 rifle than the front bumper of my vehicle, but I also should get half-a-kill credit for finishing off the deer that the guy on the road in front of me knocked down. I ran over that big buck and got all 4 tires off the ground. Biggest speed bump I ever hit, and I hit him at 60 at least. When I looked in my rearview I saw the torso skidding along the road and then the limbs started raining down from the sky behind it.

I would not mind trying black powder muzzle-stuffers. I'm torn between the traditional / historical rifles and a modern inline one with a scope.

4. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

I have an in line but still use standard caps and iron sights

5. Ranger

Ranger New Member

All of the above for myself, if there is a season for it, I'll be hunting it!

6. phideaux

phideaux New Member

Rifles,

But been thinking about black powder , cuz we only have 2 weeks rifle season in Ky.
    Thats why we have too many deer.

Black powder has more field time.

Jim

7. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Hey, Am I the only 'none of the above' here?
    Handguns man, handguns or a hammer.

I did get my first deer a few years back with a rifle (Winn. '94 in .44m) ,but that was the last time I took a long gun deer hunting. I usually use pistols on squirrel too, but my preferred squirreler is down, and needs the barrel fixed.

So, preferred gun? Far and away, s/w 29. 6.5" .44 mag. I've hunted with my Ruger SBH, but not seen a deer with it in hand. I've bagged one with my t/c Contender too, but still, preferred is the 29.

Dogsbreath

[​IMG]

And here is the squirreler, Taurus .17 hmr 8" barrel. This gun is point blank out to 110 yards.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  8. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

I have taken several with the Ruger Vaquero .44 mag. I also have a Blackhawk in .41 mag I need to take next season.

9. FallingLeaf

FallingLeaf New Member

You can take down a deer with a revolver? I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that before, but then I'm new to this.

10. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

Yes, lots of practice.

11. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Well, not just any revolver, but yes. .357's with long barrels (7-10 inch) and .44's with 5-6 are fine for deer, keeping shots under 100 yards, or what ever that hunter is capable of. There are some real nut jobs out there that use real hand cannons and use them from great distances too. These guys think that the .44m is just the gateway drug to big handguns. You can check them out over here:

here are some other toys I like to hunt with...

Attached Files:

• 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      94 KB
      Views:
  12. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

Very nice collection!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390431630.757882.jpg
    My Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag

13. dogsbreath

dogsbreath Member

Opening day two years back I had to work. Driving a concrete truck. Well, I pulled out of the quarry and headed up the hill. One of those that you top at 20 mph. Almost at the top, in the median, was a dead deer. Well, I thought it was dead, but she moved her head as I passed. I couldn't leave here like that, and turned around. She looked ok in that she had no visible wounds, but she'd been hit in the head hard. She couldn't stand straight, and her toung was hanging out. I approached her and she got up, but couldn't leave. It was obvious that she was mortally hit. Another driver stopped and she agreed that we couldn't leave her like that, so I got my easwing hammer out and clobbered her. Not real sporting, but what could you do? I then put her on the cat walk of the mixer and went and poured the driveway. When I got done and cleanded the mixer out, I pulled off the doe and tied her two legs to the two sides of the chute. I then pushed the button and raised her up, gutted her, used the hose and cleaned out the cavity, and put her back on the catwalk. Grabbed two bags of ice on the way back and stuffed her like a turkey with them. Those amigos thought I was crazy. They might have a point too.
    I don't know the caliber nor the energy of the hammer, but it is enough. Range sucks, but it gets the job done if you are close.

btw, in the photo above, I don't hunt deer with all those. The rimfires are for squirrel. I've not taken the 4" .357 after them, but I'd use it for an under 50 yard shot with a clear conscience. The snub .44 mag is a solid shooter, I sat with it this year, but saw no deer. It is spot on out to 50 yards.

db

14. dutchs

dutchs New Member

I have an S&W .460 XVR with an 8" barell that can drop a deer at 200 yards. I haven't ever done that but I have seen pics. of guys dropping Bison with the same gun, VERY BIG Bison!!!! I can't wait to do it!!

0913132142.jpg

0913132140.jpg

15. dutchs

dutchs New Member

1011132337.jpg I think I would trust my .357 mag TRR8 5"- 8 round as well up to at least 50 yards...maybe a bit longer with the right shot.

1009131024.jpg

1009131025.jpg

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Member

Savage 111

I got this Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag as a "mainstream" deer and other big game hunting rifle, for those occasions when my military .308 rifle wouldn't be the right weapon for the job or for the political and cultural expectations of the people I'd be hunting with.

I figured on using "reduced recoil" or "managed recoil" loads for most hunting here in GA. 2,700 f.p.s. instead of 3,100. But still plenty of killing power and long-range accuracy for deer.

I ended up selling it just because it didn't thrill me to shoot it the way I'd hoped.

It shot well, and hit where I aimed, and was comfortable to hold and the bolt worked smoothly. But for some reason this rifle and I just didn't "click" and it didn't feel like a match.

[​IMG]

17. Yote

Yote New Member

I'd deer hunt with a little red, rubber flip if they opened a season for it.
    I

18. strycnine

strycnine New Member

I prefer shotgun.

19. Ehunt

Ehunt New Member

I prefer my Remington 700 bdl stainless 7mm-08. But my Matthews drenalin is 2nd