Savage 10 rifle .243

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by gunsmoker, Sep 24, 2014.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Member

I traded into this Savage Model 10, in .243 Win caliber.
    22" sporter weight barrel with 1:9 twist rate. (I know my note next to the rifle says 21" barrel, but I was mistaken when I first measured from the barrel nut).

Nice trigger, adjusted by the prior owner.
    Comes with a Tasco 3x-9x by 50mm scope (cheap, made in China, but it should work).
    This fat-bell scope has extra tall rings that put the center of the scope 2.2" above the bore.

I expect to use this myself on some deer, hog, or coyote hunting, but primarily deer. And while I "would" use a .243 such as this to kill deer at long hunting ranges of up to 400 yards, if the gun proved itself accurate at that distance and I chose the right bullet that would expand when the velocity is down around 2100 or 2200 f.p.s. that far out, I ONLY ANTICIPATE using it in woods where my maximum distance shot between the trees and bushes would be about 100 yards.

But I also got this rifle as a "loaner" to let a buddy use when I want to take somebody deer hunting but they don't have a suitable rifle. I have a friend in such a situation right now. He's got an AR-15 (old style Colt SP1 with a slow-twist barrel), and an AK-47, but no provisions for mounting a scope on either one. And he really could use a scope to improve his accuracy at even moderate ranges of 50-100 yards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  2. paulkeen

paulkeen New Member

Nothin wrong with that rifle...or caliber...i was and still a fan of long action calibers, but here recently on reading ballistic and facing reality how far do i shoot 250/300yds max. A Well placed shot from a .223 .243.308 and soon to be my newst build 6.8spc will take care of that..great find on a excellent gun

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

3. Gator

Gator Member

My personal preference is a bullet north of 100 grains, but folks do take lots of deer with .243's. .243 is great for feral swine, 'yotes, etc.
  4. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Banned

Federal Premium Ballistic Tips are great out of the .243, my son took many a deer with his single shot .243
  5. buck119

buck119 New Member

:) ;) ;) ;)