scope on SKS

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by gunsmoker, Jan 26, 2014.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Member

Has anybody successfully scoped an SKS rifle?
    How does it perform?
    Do you think it would make a good deer rifle, on par with a scoped lever-action .357 or .44 or .30-30 rifle? (basically, good to 100 or 150 yards, but not a real long range hunting weapon)?

I have an SKS, and I tried to scope it with an aftermarket receiver cover that had a scope base already installed, but the receiver cover didn't fit my gun. It was too tight not only lengthwise but internally as to width, too. My rifle was a Norinco Chinese one, and perhaps that replacement receiver cover was from an Eastern European / Iron Curtain rifle?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. I can get 7" groups at 100 yards from this SKS with the crude open sights it comes with, and military-type ammo. From experience with many other rifles, putting even a 4X scope on a rifle shrinks my group sizes in half. And using good grade commercial ammo shrinks the groups even more. That's why I figured a scoped SKS with Winchester or Federal soft-point 7.62 x 39mm ammo would be a 3-4 m.o.a. rifle, and good to 150 -175 yards from a decent rest, taking a broadside shot on a deer that's standing still.

2. strycnine

strycnine New Member

I pickes this one up in a trade and it had a railed dust cover. It seemed to loose to mount a scope on so I took it off.

Nice Norinco gunsmoker! Keep it original.:p

Attached Files:

3. GH

GH Administrator Staff Member

I like iron sites on an SKS. Never shot one mounted with a scope, the iron has always been enough.